28608Linotype, was Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Re: Analog Computers

  • LarryS
    Dec 11, 2012
      There's a 'working' Linotype machine in the Print Shop at the Railroad Museum in Savannah, GA, just West of the historic 'downtown' district, East of I-95. If you ever 'happen' to go there, also check out the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum along I-95, with a B-47 Jet Bomber on a pedestal out front (visible from I-95). The Linotype keyboard was designed according to the letter frequencies in the English language; hence, the home row of keys reads, from left to right, as "ETAOIN SHRDLU" - same frequency sequence in Edgar Allen Poe's story, "The Gold Bug" and the development of the Dvorak Keyboatd arangement! (Also Ernest Vincent Wright's 50,000-word light novel, entitled, "Gadsby" - written entirely without the letter "E"!)

      Season's Greetings to all!

      Larry Schear
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic