28523Re: [midatlanticretro] Analog Computers - General description

  • Ken
    Dec 8, 2012
      On 9/7/2012 7:50 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      >I'm trying to learn something about these old computers. First of all, do they actually follow program steps? I always equated the term computers with something that can follow directions, calculate numbers, make decisions based on the results. How were these old computers used? Who used them? etc.

      I just happened to have discovered this great video a couple of days ago. It's a 50's US Navy instructional film about the mechanical computers they used. It's really eye-opening and very high quality. (It gets to the meat about two minutes in.) For me, it demonstrated the analog/mathematical approach, in contrast to the digital/logical approach I grew up learning.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1i-dnAH9Y4

      - Ken
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic