28512Re: [midatlanticretro] Analog Computers - General description

    Dec 8, 2012
      Josh,

      Did you ever get any response to your question?

      I think of an analog computer as a device that models a problem and thus 'calculates' the answer by varying inputs to the model and then measuring an output. Accuracy depended on the accuracy of the model which could be rods and gears or electric circuits or both. Analog computers that are used today include tide clocks or the more common clocks what show the phase of the moon (location is one of the inputs). Big analog computers in the 30's were used to 'solve' multiple differential equations. Artillery tables are the most common example from WWII.

      The Wikipedia article is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_computer

      Jim

      On 9/7/2012 7:50 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

      I'm trying to learn something about these old computers. First of all, do they actually follow program steps? I always equated the term computers with something that can follow directions, calculate numbers, make decisions based on the results. How were these old computers used? Who used them? etc.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic