28451Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Cheap Bit Banger's Calculator

    Dec 6, 2012
      On 12/06/2012 11:44 AM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > However, it still wasn't until I was into my freshman year of college
      > that I really saw the benefits of RPN. My absolute favorite
      > demonstration is parallel resistance calculations. For most algebraic
      > calculators, the method is 1/(1/a+1/b), where a and b are the two
      > resistor values to be paralleled, and sometimes people even insert more
      > parenthesis than need be. On the RPN, it's just a [inv] b [inv] + [inv].
      > Far fewer keystrokes! One of my professors even made a joke (hardly a
      > joke, really) that the students who finish first on exams must all have
      > RPN calculators.

      ROFL! Yes I love my HPs for parallel resistance calculations. FAR
      easier and faster.

      > Just recently I got an HP-48g to replace my 50g, which replaced the
      > 49g+. The 50g is nice, but who needs all of those features for EE?
      > Certainly not I. The buttons on the 48g are infinitely better anyways.

      My favorite all-around calculator for lab use is the HP-41, when I'm
      at my desk writing code it is (was, see other email) an HP-28S, and for
      everything else I like the HP-48SX.

      > One day, I'll own an HP-9100A...

      Keep dreamin'.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ