28370RE: [midatlanticretro] Emulators

  • Dave
    Dec 2, 2012

      In general 99% of emululators only use a single core. The main exception I
      know of is the Hercules mainframe emulator which will use multiple cores to
      emulate a multiple CPU mainframe. The problem is that the Operating Systems
      that are freely available don't support multiple cores well. There is also a
      special port of SIMH to emulate multiple CPU Vaxen.

      > Has there ever been an effort to see how many systems can be
      > emulated inside of one another... like a chronological order
      > of systems emulated within other systems...

      I don't think so.

      > Say, in the micro realm: An Altair emulator running on an
      > Apple II emulator running on a TRS-80 emulator running on a
      > C64 emulator running on a mac emulator... running on a real
      > *insert fast computer* here. Would like to jam an 1802 in
      > there somewhere too.

      The problem is which way round do you run them? I have an Atari ST which
      will emulate an IBM PC and the IBM PC would also emulate an Atari...... I
      also found that the PC emulator does not run well on most of the Atari ST
      emulators I have tried. (there are around five I think)

      > You get the idea. Couldn't find
      > anything like this searching... but didn't feel I came up
      > with good search terms to describe it. I guess the last
      > emulated system would crawl and it would be be a challenge to
      > assemble all the file systems onto the first host machine.
      > It has to have been attempted...

      The only time I know this type of thing has been tried and the results
      published was on mainframes. So you can run Hercules emulator under zVM or
      zOS and then run zOS within the emulator. This used to allow these OS's to
      be legally tested under Hercules as they are still running on the hardware
      for which they are licensed...

      Dave Wade G4UGM
      Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic