28130Re: Removal Suggestions? - Black Antistatic Residue from the 70's

  • s100doctor
    Nov 16, 2012

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

      > "Goo Gone" did wonders removing some disintegrating foam insulation from an Apple Imagewriter printer i recently did some restoration work on. It still took some mechanical effort, so I'm not so sure how it would work in your case with IC pins.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mike Willegal

      I'm working up an analysis of this black antistatic foam stuff. There's many reports of damaged chips from the degradation of this material. I want my site to get on top of this. I don't have a document ready to publish, but here's some bits of information:

      > This patent application for antistatic foam looks more reasonable.
      > http://www.google.com/patents/US5567740
      > Here's an excerpt:
      >
      > "This foam is produced by combining conventional polyurethane foam-forming
      > reactants and an effective amount of an antistatic agent such as
      > tetracyanoquinodimethane (TCNQ) or sodium perchlorate under foam-forming
      > conditions. In one preferred embodiment, the conductive foam is
      > subsequently reticulated by momentary exposure to a flame front."

      Another description is "polyolefin plastic resins"; "LDPE" (low density polyethylene); "EVA" (Ethylene-vinyl acetate). I've heard rumors that the conducting content is lamp black, burned sugar (acid not heat). There's likely many ways this stuff is/was produced.

      If the base material is a kind of plastic, then something like "Goo Gone" - in large part made of toluene - may dissolve it. Also: the traditional "gag" at an auto shop is to ask the new guy/gal to carry gasoline in a styrofoam cup. Of course, it dissolves the cup FAST.

      Handle these flammable and liver-damaging substances with caution. Please report results here, and with permission I'll quote content posted accordingly.

      Herb Johnson
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic