28119Re: [midatlanticretro] Removal Suggestions? - Black Antistatic Residue from the 70's

  • Systems Glitch
    Nov 16, 2012
      I generally lightly scrape the black gunk clinging to the pins with a knife, then swab them with a bit of isopropyl alcohol. If they don't break off during the cleaning process, they can usually be inserted into sockets.

      If they do break off, and they're ceramic side-brazed packages, I usually solder them into a machine pin socket. Use a lot of water-soluble flux and wash well. You can do the same with plastic DIP packages as long as the pins don't break off flush with the IC body.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan