28080Sandy got me kicked off of midatlanticretro.

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Nov 13, 2012
      Hi,

      Just testing. Evan put my email address, this address, back on the list
      after Yoohoo claimed I was "bouncing" emails when, in fact, there was no
      way for me to bounce emails until power and communications were restored
      here as of 19:30 Friday.

      Last thing I think I said on the list was that Sandy was a lot of wind.
      She was. While I went relatively unscathed, I have neighbors with homes
      that were pancaked by trees -- mostly large oaks -- fell by Sandy. The
      only major tragedy here was loss of a 3kVA APC UPS when the transformer
      outside blew up. The surge caused the UPS to catch fire when all of the
      transistors or power regulators (TO-220s) on 4 large heatsinks exploded.
      So, I now have 12 batteries but no UPS to use them. Strangely, another
      (same) UPS faired well through all the power mess. Ran here on a 7kWatt
      gas generator (2 hours on 4 hours off) to maintain refrigeration but no
      communications without power on the area grid. I used the time to take
      all of my kit out of racks and thoroughly clean the dust out.

      "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
      and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"