28000Got an Altair 8800b...needs "a bit" of work

  • Kyle Owen
    Nov 1, 2012
      And by "a bit," I mean a lot. It's bad, unfortunately. I think some felines urinated on the front panel board, as it's certainly caked in something nasty mixed with cat hair. Quite a few of the IC pins are corroding and will be replaced.

      My plan for the boards are to remove all of the socketed chips and probably switches too, and run it through the dishwasher a few times. I may go ahead and unsolder everything and just rebuild; I wouldn't be opposed to doing that. In fact, I'll likely do that on a couple of the other smaller boards too.

      I am missing the majority of the power supply. The PSU board was just given to me, but I don't have the transformer, fan, large capacitor, or any of the wires. Would anyone with an 8800b be able to take some hi-res shots of the PSU area, so I can get an idea of what the original system looked like? Or maybe just a list? This was the best picture I could find of the components: http://www.dvq.com/oldcomp/photos2/1k/altair_8800b_mb.jpg

      The plastic card guides are completely brittle and crack at the slightest touch. Any ideas for some authentic replacements? I'm guessing I'm SOL on this.

      I am also missing the top case as it stands. Am I going to have an extremely hard time finding such pieces?

      Anyways, the pictures are here for those curious and with a strong stomach (nah, it's not *that* bad!).

      http://imgur.com/a/lZY3T

      If you have any advice to add, I'd love to hear it! This is by far the worst condition machine I have ever received, and luckily I didn't pay much for it. I definitely hope to have it working eventually. I will have to get some RAM for it at some point down the road, but I think I'm quite far from that.

      Kyle
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic