27974Re: [midatlanticretro] APL @ 50 Event in Toronto

    Nov 1, 2012
      On 11/01/2012 08:17 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      > Today I learned much about APL at the York University APL@50 Event.

      [much awesomeness snipped]

      > I don't know who Edsger Dijkstra is, or why he wrote "APL is a
      > mistake, carried through to perfection. It is the language of the
      > future for the programming techniques of the past: it creates a new
      > generation of coding bums." In fact, he was quoted a few times with
      > negative comments. Does anyone have anything nice to say about him?
      > Who was he?

      !

      Dijkstra was perhaps one of the most influential figures in computer
      science of all time. He was a Turing Award recipient, and invented the
      now-ubiquitous concept of the "semaphore" in computer programming,
      amongst lots and lots and lots of other stuff.

      Important guy. He died about ten years ago.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ