27937Re: [midatlanticretro] Unknown Dual External 8" Floppy Drive Bay

    Oct 30, 2012
      On 10/30/2012 11:42 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > I managed to get a big 'ole steel box with two Tandon 8" drives. One of
      > them had a broken handle, unfortunately. I went ahead and took the other
      > off before it snapped before I took the picture. Any ideas who made
      > this? I'm currently in the process of stripping the paint and repainting
      > it. It was in rough shape from the outside, but the inside is quite
      > clean. Sorry the pictures are so poor; the lighting in my condo is awful
      > and is not helped by a poor phone camera. Didn't have a chance to pull
      > out the good 'ole Canon 50D...
      >
      > I am going to make a floppy cable adapter so I can use this with a
      > modern PC running ImageDisk or any other CP/M or S-100 systems that
      > would require such a beast.
      >
      > There was a spot which seemed to have at one point a rectangular label
      > on the side, but nothing I could tell was ever on the front. The back
      > was also spotless, as was the bottom.
      >
      > Link here: http://imgur.com/a/cRTVI

      Ahh, those gorgeous half-height 8" drives. I love those.

      As for identifying it...Good luck. The market was FLOODED with 8"
      drive chassis, selling all over the back of BYTE magazine, for many
      years. Dozens, if not hundreds of companies made them, trying to
      out-cheap each other on the sheet metal and power supplies.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ