27724To change or not to change? Re: NorthStar Horizon Woes

  • s100doctor
    Oct 17, 2012
      In a few words, Mike is largely correct. There's a market for rare and pristine stuff, and such things should be kept in those conditions and restored with care. And if one's interests are on those terms, more power to them.

      But a lot of S-100 computers (among others of the era) are NOT in those conditions, for the reasons I cited. They may not attract "collectable" interest, even if they are. But my interests, are in preserving and restoring hardware for USE, and in preserving the legacy of knowledge and experience of use, repair and restoration of computers of that pre-PC era.

      "Preservation" is an important point, here's why. A lot of 1970's and earlier knowledge will be lost, as guys like me and my older colleagues die, and their collections are disbursed. Common wisdom from journalists and writers in the 21st century about personal computing, is about the "winners" - Apple, IBM, Microsoft - and mostly of their 1980's efforts. (Apple I interests notwithstanding.) Before all that - ugly boxes of boards, from a handful of basement hobbyists, that ultimately didn't matter because they didn't become zillionaires. That's the view I'm fighting - that, and time itself.

      And so, "don't touch that" is antithetical to the spirit AND EXPERIENCE that started personal computing in the 1970's. Even the idea of repair itself, may be lost in the 21st century. That's my belief, that's what I'm responding to, and that's why I am hot about it. But there's certainly room for showcase vintage computing, it helps to start the conversation, to "pull" prices up and encourage interest. Mike, thanks for making your points.

      Herb Johnson

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Willegal <mike@...> wrote:
      > I'm all for using these computers, but if you have a pristine or very rare unit, any changes you make should be reversible. Collectors will always value these factory fresh units more than those that have been altered. Too much change, could significantly reduce value.
      > If you have a rare or pristine unit, get it working, but don't modify. One option is to find another, less valuable machine that has already been altered to experiment with.
      > My original Apple II and Mac 128k had a number of changes made to them back in the "old" days, some not reversible. I still have them, but wish I had them in factory new condition. However, I don't regret making the changes, cause that is what we did, back then.
      > Regards,
      > Mike W
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic