27697To change or not to change? Re: NorthStar Horizon Woes

  • joshbensadon
    Oct 16 5:18 AM

      > The processor card does have the space for the ROM add on,
      > but none of the components are populated.
      > Maybe it'd be worth it to do that,
      > though I would feel bad about modifying the original hardware,
      > even if it was designed to do that.
      > I feel it would devalue the system.
      > I'm not looking to sell it anytime soon.

      Hi Kyle,

      You bring up a very good point. Ultimately, there is no right or wrong thing to do here. It's your system. When I was fixing my front panel board on the IMSAI, I found it was not modified with the latest ECO's. I had to choose, original configuration? or working configuration? Since my goal here is to have fun, I need a working system. To answer your question about devaluing the system, imagine you were now the buyer of your system. Would you pay less because someone populated the ROM option on the CPU card? I would be happy to have the system with or without the ROM. Now what I consider devaluating is when the system is severly mutilated. Case in point, consider the SWTPC on ebay, item# 150906347144, I would not take it.
      I have no use for a 70's computer that has been retrofited with 3-1/2" floppy drives.

      I feel the best thing to do, is to document your system in a journal. In 30 years, someone would be considering your work on the system to be of historical value. Your notes today will make any modifications more valuable. Imagine if you had a note stating the reason the original owner didn't populate the ROM secion?

      These old computers are part history and part techilogical fun, I think that's the facination that has captured us.

      Cheers,
      Josh
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic