27682Re: Reforming Capacitors: EAI Analog Computer TR-48

  • joshbensadon
    Oct 11, 2012
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

      > Normally you either want to ramp the voltage up or if out of circuit
      > use a series current limit resistor to keep the reforming current low.

      Good point. I'll take them out of circuit and ramp the voltage up through a 20K resistor while monitoring current. I'll not go past say 2mA?

      I have a home made ESR meter, need to run tests on it to verify it's range and accuracy. I also have an LCR meter.

      > Sometimes you also get visual hints

      Nothing wrong visually.

      > Does the documentation you have specify the allowable supply
      > ripple? If you have a fixed load current you can estimate what ripple you
      > should have based on the capacitance.

      No documentation. I'm just winging it.
      There are 2 power supplies for this unit. The first one has 4 output voltages (don't recall them yet). The second power supply is smaller and has 2 output voltages, 1 is a weird voltage.

      -8V @3Amp and +2V @500mA.

      What can you do with 2V at 500mA?

      Anyway, thanks for your input. It will be a couple of weeks before I get this on my bench.

      Cheers,
      Josh
    • Show all 31 messages in this topic