27616Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Mitsubishi 2896 8" Drive to PC

  • Kyle Owen
    Oct 3, 2012
      Good news, everyone! I was able to get the 8" drive working just fine. I ended up making another passive adapter, this time using a 5.25" floppy edge connector. Now it can tie into a normal floppy ribbon cable. I had to play with some jumpers, but I finally found some that worked. If anyone wants a better write-up for connecting the Mitsubishi 2896 to a computer, just let me know. I'll get something written up. I also should mention that the 150 ohm terminator is way too small for this particular machine, so I moved up to 1k terminators. I think it was also working without the terminator altogether, but I'd have to try it again just to make sure.

      I have successfully copied both the MS-DOS boot and list disks to 8" floppy, and both work great. ImageDisk, although very low-level, is quite easy to use. I guessed on some parameters like interleave, but it works just fine. Sweet! CP/M is next, though I'll have to forfeit the list disk to do that. I only have a few 8" that people have dug out from their filing cabinets and bookshelves, and several are either SS,SD or SS,DD. Bummer!

      Kyle

      On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM, joshbensadon <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:28:20PM -0500, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > Any ideas? Have any other MARCHians been successful hooking this (or a
      > > similar) drive up to a modern PC?
      > >
      > I have gotten an 8" drive to work with a PC. It took some fiddling but
      > was long enough that I don't remember exactly what. I was playing
      > with the BIOS settings and drive jumpers. If your PC moves the heads
      > on startup the 8" drive should do the same. If not check the
      > drive select/ready/track 0/step.

      I have not done this before, sounds like something I would like to do.
      But if I still may throw in my 2 cents worth...

      Most FDC's will home the head(s) on start up/init.
      So, with power off, spin the motor shaft to move the head out and turn on the power to watch it go "home" to track 0. Here's a good way to test stepping and the track 0 line.

      I've not done this before, but my question would be around the Head Load line? Do the 5-1/4" drives even have a "Head Load"?

      While we're on the subject... how do double sided disks work? I mean, are the write currents so low that the magnetism doesn't bleed through to the other side? or do they skew the side 1 and side 2 tracks? or both?

      Cheers,
      Josh

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic