27536Re: [midatlanticretro] Looking for a DSO/MSO

  • Mike Loewen
    Sep 27, 2012
      On 09/26/2012 05:44 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

      > So, after being told, for years, that I needed to get an oscilloscope,
      > I find that I finally have a need for one, to continue to work out the
      > power problems on my 68k Macs. My primary problem is that I know
      > _nothing_ about scopes. I have been told that I should get at least a
      > 100MHz scope, by various people, and that the sample rate should be as
      > high as possible.

      A lot of us old pharts tend to favor hardware we've worked with at past
      employers. I have a Tektronix 485 (dual-channel, 350MHz) scope and a HP
      1650B logic analyzer (35MHz State Mode, 100MHz Timing Mode, 80 channels).
      The biggest challenge in buying a used logic analyzer is finding the
      cables, pods and grabbers. As has been mentioned, you can't go wrong with
      Tektronix and HP.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...