27416Re: [midatlanticretro] Booting a 1985 NEC APC

  • Systems Glitch
    Sep 10, 2012
      Well, I've got copies of the system media in known-working condition (they were made from the NEC masters earlier this year). MARCH now has my APC + software + manuals, as it wasn't getting much use around here.

      They're neat machines, though, and snappy CP/M-86 boxes! If your machine is really ready to boot, you should see

      [ * ]

      in the upper-left corner of the screen. It will change to [ M ] when trying to boot MS-DOS and [ C ] when trying to boot CP/M-86. Also, if you don't have a keyboard plugged in, some of the alt/graphics options are enabled and text won't display properly, so you may just get a block in the upper-left corner.

      In any case, MARCH now has a fully working/testec color APC with all of the original disks and manuals, which should be helpful!

      Thanks,
      Jonathan

      On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:28:55 -0500
      Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> wrote:

      > I have located a couple of APCs, but I don't know where I should begin with
      > booting them. I turned them both on, and on one, I could see a raster, but
      > it vanished. I think something is shot on the video board, as it never did
      > display the raster again. The other one has a severely burned in screen,
      > but seems to be in a bit more of working order. The floppy drives light up
      > when the disk is inserted the correct way. I have a couple of 8" disks, but
      > they are not clearly marked. I don't have the systems right next to me at
      > this point, but I hope to debug them sometime.
      >
      > I'd be interested in taking the best parts from both systems and making one
      > good one. Both systems seem complete with keyboards.
      >
      > These are dated from 1985, but I cannot remember what specific model they
      > are.
      >
      > Any help, advice, or cheer-leading would be much appreciated!
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Kyle
      > W4GNU
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic