27291Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Navy video from 1962 about computers

  • Dave Wade
    Aug 25, 2012
      On 25/08/2012 15:24, Neil Cherry wrote:
      > On 08/25/2012 10:04 AM, RonK wrote:
      >
      >> Ah! Those were the good old days... When a Computer was a computer! And you could actually
      >> repair them! Now, it's a different story. See:
      > Sorry couldn't watch the video, too many things to unblock (yes I use
      > adblock).
      >
      > The future museum will be much like what we have today but with 'newer'
      > things. Today's makers can replace and repair complex systems with
      > complex technology. We can make our own replacement FPGAs for some
      > of the technology when it fails. This is why you see things like
      > the XBox & PS3 being hacked. People figure it out, when it suites
      > their needs.
      >
      > Don't mistake my disappointment that some vendors make their products
      > non-repairable on purpose (because it's part of their business model).
      > Also I don't know where the line needs to be drawn for what is retro
      > and what is not when the only way to save something is to repair it
      > with modern (non-retro) technology.

      I think its getting harder. I have just thrown out some Digital TV boxes
      because the software isn't upgradable. There is no documentation
      available on-line and the supplier won't supply updated software. The
      boxes no longer work as in the UK we have recently changed the
      modulation. In fact any one who had migrated to the first Digital TV
      service has had to upgrade a second time so thousands of boxes must have
      been skipped. I even have a Digital TV recorder which is also going to
      be skipped as it stutters. And before any one asks there are virtually
      no components worth salvaging in the boxes. Almost all the brains is on
      a large single chip.

      I also have a fully functioning MP3 player which also being skipped.
      This time its the battery that has failed and I can't get one that will
      fit in the space in the case. I could put one outside but that defeats
      the whole object of the case.

      --
      Dave Wade G4UGM
      Illegitimi Non Carborundum