2729Re: [midatlanticretro] question for Brian

  • Chris M
    Mar 5, 2006
      so on a PC it should be straitforward? I never owned a
      parallel zip, but I seem to recall that a 386 was
      required for the scsi version. Scsi is preferable of
      course for speed. As I think on it, a scsi unit should
      as readily work on an early pc (my guess) unless the
      drivers and whatnot used opcodes that werent native to
      the 8086/8.
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      <nampcjr@...> wrote:
      > Chris
      >
      > The ZIP on the jr is pretty simple. Use the
      already provided-by-Iomega guest.exe program. You are
      going to need some extra memory on the jr as well as a
      decent memory config program to recognize the
      addition. The amount of memory used by Iomega;s
      guest....Im not sure of and have not checked at all.
      I had the ZIP up, running, and havent played with it
      at all. Im still trying to track down the strangeness
      of my Racore HDD setup, because it is very very picky
      as to which third party vendor memory options it wants
      to play nice with. Im racking my brain just to get
      above 128k again without having to go through the pain
      of desoldering a 128k memory sidecar to upgrade it to
      512k...what a pain...

      > Brian
      >
      > Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
      > so where would I find the details of how to
      connect a
      > Zip to a Peanut or vanilla pc? It sounds almost too
      > good to be true.
      > --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > <nampcjr@...> wrote:
      > > Chris
      > >
      > > A parallel port ZIP will indeed work. I have
      one
      > hooked up to my system. The guest program works
      like
      > a charm. It is not however, bootable. The SCSI ZIP
      > drives can be bootable when using the TMC 850jr but
      > other than that, the ZIP is good for just as you
      say,
      > a secondary storage device.
      > > I am no programmer or electrical wiz by any means,
      > but if there was a way to hack into the jr's BIOS
      and
      > make a parallel port a bootable possibility, Id take
      > some of the blank cartridge PCBs I have and burn a
      few
      > EPROMS to allow just that! I have no idea if it
      could
      > ever be possible though.
      > >
      > > Brian
      > >
      > > Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
      > > Dude...did the group ever get a parallel port
      Zip
      > > drive to work with the jr? If so, and if you
      figure
      > > out how to boot from it (undoubtedly by hacking
      the
      > > firmware), whats really all the secondary storage
      > youd need.

      > protection around
      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

      > > Vintage computer Computer security