27174Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Did Bill Gates Steal the Heart of DOS?

  • Neil Cherry
    Aug 10, 2012
      On 08/10/2012 06:05 PM, s100doctor wrote:

      > 4) The IEEE published article, is not very good technically. There's nothing particularly
      > modern or forensic, about doing what amounts to binary comparisons and ASCII dumps. The
      > code he looks at, is mostly later than the time a "copy" would have been made - when
      > 86-DOS was created by Tim Patterson. Any code subsequently produced by "Bill Gates"
      > (Microsoft) would have avoided any DRI sources and binaries for obvious reasons.

      I found the forensics portion to be laughable, then I found out he
      worked for a company that sells forensic tools and I was dumbfounded.
      Someone didn't live through that time and understand the context of
      coding in the env.

      If you look at the source code of much of the software written in
      the early portion of of the micro age you might find that many folks
      had similar 4, 5 or 6 character labels and variables. 8 character labels
      and names was a luxury (like a 4K card!). How many folks know why so
      much software such software uses i,j, & k for index variables? I expect
      more than a few on this list will.

      BTW, I only coded starting in 1980. So I'm more through the middle
      kingdom of the micro age. ;-)

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog