27172Re: [midatlanticretro] Apple III restoration started

  • Matt Patoray
    Aug 10, 2012

      On Aug 10, 2012, at 2:01 PM, Matt Patoray <mspatoray@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      I have started the restoration my apple III which I have had just sitting in the attic for about a decade now.

      My goal is to have it working fully by 09/01/2012 which is its 30th birthday according to the date stamp on the aluminum plate the power supply is mounted on.

      It would not power on, a quick check of the power supply voltages showed them all wrong with the +12V rail being +3.75v and the +5V rail being +1.34V. So like all my power supply repairs I started with a total recap of it, I used Panasonic high temp caps all the way around and low ESR caps in the switching portion.

      The power supply is now working and providing proper voltages, there is a YouTube video up at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfcd2EAGN5g&list=UUU-Ezix80VIq0GC6GwangkA&index=1&feature=plcp

      Now just waiting for more caps to come in as the logic board needs them all replaced as there are a few that have popped, again all Panasonic high temp caps. I will also recap the DiskII drive and the Apple Monitor III.

      Matt

      To further expand on the project, if anyone wants I can provide a capacitor list for the Power supply, Logic Board/Memory Card and Apple Monitor III. I have just the cap list but I also can populate it with Mouser part numbers and prices.

      Matt
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic