27121Re: [midatlanticretro] Did Bill Gates Steal the Heart of DOS?

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Aug 2, 2012
      "nicodemus_nj" <dwobser@...> writes:

      >I found this article to be an interesting read:
      >
      >Did Bill Gates Steal the Heart of DOS? The mystery of the rumored theft
      >of CP/M by a little company called Microso= ft can finally be
      >investigated=97using software forensic tools
      >
      >http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/did-bill-gates-steal-the-heart-=
      >of-dos/1

      Read Bob Gezelter's (I know Bob) comments. However, I think that,
      having used CP/M in the day, CP/M is/was more like RT-11 and bits
      of TECO-10.

      I've done disassembly and analysis of code for proof of a software
      theft in a courtroom drama. There's little a tool can do, save for
      the disassembly, to expose ensconsed details of copying or theft.
      Searches for strings? That's the first thing a software thief of
      even the most modest abilities would change making such "analytic"
      conclusions rather dubious.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic