26673Re: [midatlanticretro] Tech weekend -- everyone's projects ...

  • J. Alexander Jacocks
    Jul 2, 2012
      On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Bill Dromgoole <drummy@...> wrote:

      > Could everyone who attended send a list message about their projects from this
      > weekend? It would be nice for everyone else to hear about progress made and
      > how it was done.

      I worked on a couple of projects: replacing the A/C filtering capacitors on an Apple IIe power supply, and repairing a Macintosh IIci (1989, 68030), which had gone mute, and started to shutdown after 30 minutes of use.

      The first project was a complete success, thanks to David Gesswein, who gave me the requisite A/C caps.  The second one did restore sound to the IIci, via the replacement of a number of 10 and 47uF SMT capacitors.  However, the machine still shuts down after 30 minutes.

      I didn't get to my third project, which was the similar replacement of failed capacitors on a Macinotsh IIx.

      Thanks to everyone, but especially to Ian Primus and David Gesswein for their pointers on SMT soldering/desoldering, and the loan/gift of equipment and consumables.

      - Alex
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic