26210Re: [midatlanticretro] Help needed with an AT&T 3b2/310

  • J. Alexander Jacocks
    Jun 13 6:56 AM
      On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

      --- On Wed, 6/13/12, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      >   Hence my asking if there were device errors. ;)
      > What makes/models of
      > drives did the smaller 3B2s ship with?

      Hehe. Yeah. I'm thinking he's got filesystem corruption, rather than actual disk failure. Unfortunately, the old filesystem these use isn't nearly as robust as modern Unix FSes, and gets mangled rather easily - then you wind up with files evaporating, orphaned inodes, sudden errors about running out of inodes (even when you're not), etc.

      The drives that most of these shipped with are CDC Wrens. In theory, you can use just about any MFM drive, provided you have the utility disk (I do), but you'd drive yourself nuts on most PC drives - the ST225 and their ilk are so slow and noisy compared to the voice coil positioned Wren.

      >   Woohoo!!  Thanks!

      You're welcome - always happy to help.

      -Ian

      Being a vintage *nix nut, I've always wanted a 3B2.  Haven't run across one, yet, though.  Definitely something I'm looking for, if anyone decides to part with one, in the US.

      - Alex
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic