26097Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Booting a NorthStar Horizon

    Jun 4, 2012
      Kyle,

      check bitsavers.org for the manuals, but most important find the northstar horizon user manuals, they will tell you everything you need to know.

      This is a classic n* system.  You will need a 10-sector northstar DOS or Northstar CP/M disk to boot.  I assume the RAM is jumpered to be contiguous, but you need to be sure you have at least the first 24K filled contiguously.

      Bill

      At 08:20 PM 6/4/2012, you wrote:

      I got a chance to look at the N* again today. It looks like the disk controller is an MDS-AD3, from N*. Also installed is a CompuKit Econoram VII A board, with one of the 5 of the 6 rows of RAM fully populated. There's also a N* 16k RAM board, and the processor card, a ZPB-A2. The floppy drives are made by Tandon, and are both TM101-4s.

      I can't find too much info the particular floppy controller, other than that it appears to be a double-density unit. I suppose it's still using hard sectors.

      73,

      Kyle

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic