26057Re: Booting a NorthStar Horizon

  • wb4jfi
    Jun 2, 2012
      As a follow-up, I found and opened my box of N* floppies.

      I have an original N* disk unlabeled what it is, an N* original MDS-DQ release 5.1 (1979), MDS Release 4 (1978), N* DOS Version 2 & North Star Basic Version 6 Release 3. These are all "North Star Computers" originals.

      I also have disks with CP/M 1.4 and 2.2 on them, but mostly for an Altair or IMSAI computer with the N* floppy controller. You would have to redo them for the Horizon. Break out your CP/M manuals and look at movecpm, stat, pip,and ddt.

      N* controllers did single-density, double-density, and apparently "high density". Most of my floppies are single or double density. Also, single and double sided.

      I also have copies of the old North Star User Group disks 1-20, many CP/M-UG and SIG/M-UG disks. Back then, a lot of us "punched" another set of sector read holes in the floppies, so both sides could be used. Most of these User Group disks are punched, so there are two user-group disks to each floopy. Totally unknown if they are readable now!

      Anyway, if you are interested, I could probably ship some/all to you to try out. Sorry that I do not have an orignal Horizon disk.
      Terry, WB4JFI

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "wb4jfi" <wb4jfi@...> wrote:

      > Yes, the North Star floppy was 5.25-inch, hard-sector, ten sectors, I think. I did not have a Horizon, but I used the North Star floppy disk controller and SA-400 drives on a few computers, including the AMRAD CBBS.
      >
      > The main OS was CP/M. I used CP/M 1.4 and 2.2. I had MP/M, but never got it running on the North Star system, just an IMSAI and Tarbell controller.
      >
      > I still have most of my North Star floppies in a box somewhere. I'm sure that I have some origina disks, plus a few blank hard-sector ones. I'm not sure what condition they are in, as the box has not been cracked open in 15 or so years. But, they have always been in a climate-controlled room.
      >
      > I can look for the box and report back.
      > Terry, WB4JFI
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > >
      > > > Are the floppies anything special? I assume they're soft-sectored, probably
      > > > single-density single-sided, right? If so, I think I would have very little
      > > > trouble making boot disks from a MS-DOS machine.
      > >
      > > Don't assume they're soft-sectored. The original Horizon used
      > > hard-sectored (10 sector/track) diskettes. You should do a little
      > > research to figure out which controller you have.
      > >

      > > Mike Loewen mloewen@
      > > Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic