26037Re: [midatlanticretro] I need a back up hard drive recommendation?

  • Dmmmmcom
    Jun 1, 2012
      Thanks

      On May 30, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Ben Greenfield <ben@...> wrote:

      I find the best thing to do is buy an enterprise class drive. These usually come with a 5 year warranty. These drives cost a little more but the components passed higher level tests then the drive lacie will sell you.

      As Matt mentioned I buy my drives at other world computing  they have build your own kits to choose the interfaces firewire/usb and choose enterprise class drives.

      Ben

      On May 30, 2012, at 4:58 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

      On 05/30/2012 04:04 PM, Matt Patoray wrote:
      > As for drives you can get something that is guaranteed Mac compatable at
      > other world computing www.macsales.com <http://www.macsales.com> or look
      > on ePay for something by LaCie

      This isn't as big a deal as many people make it out to be. Anything
      that implements the standard USB mass storage profile will work; the
      protocols have been fully standardized for many years now. Even more
      relevant is the fact that there are only three or four different USB
      device-end chipsets used in mass storage devices nowadays, and they all
      work on pretty much anything.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA

      =