25455Re: [midatlanticretro] Classic Ethernet for VCF-E?

    Apr 30, 2012
      On 04/30/2012 03:18 PM, s100doctor wrote:
      >> On 04/30/2012 03:01 PM, s100doctor wrote:
      >>> Ethernet? *Ethernet*? Wasn't this a discussion about "exhibits"?
      >>
      >> My PDP-11/70, circa 1975, has an Ethernet interface. ;)
      >
      > Actually, this is a good point. You've got some kind of 10bT
      > capability, right? Does it come out to DB-15 or BNC or what?

      It comes out to an AUI interface on a DB-15, as most (probably all)
      pre-desktop DEC machines do. I use a 10baseT transceiver from that.

      > Likewise, the SGI exhibit runs 10bt or 100bT through twisted-pair
      > RJ45's. It's possible Mike Loewen's HP's may have some sort of
      > Ethernet. And someone may bring something else with some kind of
      > TCP/IP support.
      >
      > What would it take, to have a local Ethernet "backbone" through the
      > exhibit area? Just enough that the 11/70 might be able to "ping" the
      > SGI Indigo 2, at least? Seems to me, it would be prudent to isolate
      > those systems from the Infoage "network", or only have one point of
      > crossover. Smarter network persons than I, will know what it will
      > take to do this.

      Well, my PDP-11/70 is running RSTS/E, for which no TCP/IP support
      exists. It does speak DECnet, however.

      What you suggest is, otherwise, a great idea IMO. The isolation you
      seek can easily be achieved using VLANs.

      > As a concession, I'll bring a S-100 card that supports "networking",
      > but it might not be Ethernet. Not that I'll run it, but people can
      > gauk at the technology....;)

      Oh, which one?

      >>> Also, I have some of those COSMAC 1802 kits I brought last year,
      >>>
      >> Hey, can you bring a set of bare boards for me?
      >
      > That was quick! I suppose I could sell a board set, but I'm offering
      > partial kits with the IC's and a few parts too. Contact me directly
      > about this, but you can also get the boards by postal mail as well.

      Ok. I am swimming in parts here, even tubes and tubes of 1802s, so
      I'd really prefer just bare boards if you're willing.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ