25059Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: FD 1771 - Floppy Drive Controller TAX?

    Apr 4 4:31 PM
      On 04/04/2012 07:22 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      > I never joined usenet. How long ago was usenet popular? Is it still
      > around?

      It's still around, and it's still active. I was shocked out of my
      gourd to find this out about a year ago. I thought it was completely dead.

      I was (among other things) a news admin at a large ISP for a long
      time. We bought one of the first SGI Origin 2000 systems to build a
      news server; that was fun.

      When I learned that it was still active, I built a news server here
      and finagled my way into getting a news feed. I get all the major
      hierarchies but no binaries. (I don't care about the binaries) The
      technical groups, in particular, are wonderful. My news server receives
      between 30,000 and 40,000 articles per day. (remember, that's not
      including binaries!) Probably 1/3 of that is spam, but the rest is a
      lot of good meat.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ