25043Re: [midatlanticretro] Question about prom burners

  • Bob Applegate
    Apr 4, 2012
      > It's the hardware that selects where the EPROM sits. The $0000 is a
      > reference the to first location of the EPROM.

      Absolutely correct. The programmer hasn't a clue where the EPROM might
      appear in the memory map of whatever device it will be plugged into. All
      offsets are relative to the start of the EPROM.

      Some programmers allow you to select an offset so reading a file with
      addresses like E000 can be mapped to the right physical location in the
      EPROM. ie, the programmer can be told that address E000 is actually 0000
      and it will do the mapping for you.

      I seem to remember using an assembler with an external tool to translate
      the assembler's unique output file format to standard formats, and one of
      the options was to tell it where to place the hex file output; it didn't
      change the code, but would change the base address in the file to make it
      easier to read into programmers.

      Bob
    • Show all 33 messages in this topic