25004Re: 8" of not working Floppy Disk.

  • joshbensadon
    Apr 1 9:05 PM
      Hi Bill,

      I'm not sure I understand a "partial port assignment".
      But you did give me new hope and off I went to check if there is a port conflict.

      After studying the Data Seperator circuit, it's a very nicely designed circuit that corrects the data/clock if it finds 5 missing clocks (ie, Data 00h misread). This I see makes the 6 00's of the IBM format invaluable for the data seperator to be in sync with the right pulses.

      Going into the 1771, I see clock pulses every 4uSec, I see data pulses every 8uSec (data pattern AA). The data is skewed by 2uSec.
      To me, this all looks good going in.

      Coming out, I scoped the Data Read strobe, it goes low for 1uSec.
      The data from the 1771 is high for the first 200nSec, but it then goes low, which is a data 1 (to the CPU) after the 74LS368's.
      This happens on all data lines, which fills the memory buffer with FF's instead of the AA's I expect.

      The 200nSec, co-incides with the Data Request Line going low. This DRQ line goes high well before I read the port and then goes low about 200nSec after I read the data port. I've confirmed the Read, Chip Select, A0, A1 lines. I thought and double checked that I am reading the right port. The DRQ line going low convinces me that I have the right port.

      I've tried a different 1771 chip, (not sure if either chip works really).

      I'm at my wits end, once again... any ideas?

      Time to buy more 1771's?