      From: josh6502 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 01:25:13 +0000
      To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: IMSAI front panel ECO question

      I wish I could share these schematics. They look great in color. I printed them up on 17x22 paper for my old eyes. I even verified them net by net against my boards. The funny part, was that I bought the reprinted version of the IMSAI manual for the purpose of having a semi-original manual. The thought of putting these new schematics in this manual never entered my mind because I want the manual to remain as original as possible (for something that's been reprinted years later).

      But I'm a little confused about something. Wasn't the IMSAI all about and for sharing of technology? Isn't that why they duplicated the Altair Bus?

      Maybe Todd didn't like the schematics because it was missing the copywrite information, which I just thought would be added later. And now that I think about it, notes can be added to indicate these aren't the original schematics etc... Isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

      Well, onto my next project... time to get this old beastie to run CP/M.

      Wish me luck!

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

      > Ok, I understand Todd's point and agree that historical authenticity is
      > important, but only to a point. My primary concern is keeping these old
      > beasts running as best as they can rather than a working museum display
      > where authenticity would be more important.
      >
      > There have been a few times that I've tried to use a poor copy of a
      > schematic or a manual in order to troubleshoot and/or repair one of my
      > boards and I would have given almost anything for a readable copy. I muddle
      > through, but it's not fun at all.
      >
      > Rich
      >
      > --
      > Rich Cini
      > Collector of Classic Computers
      > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
      > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
      >

      > From: josh6502 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 00:12:41 +0000
      > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: IMSAI front panel ECO question
      >

      > I found the original schematic to be poorly drawn so I took the time to
      > redraw the schematic and compare it against my board and the ECO's. I added
      > lots of notes to explain the logic at various points and some color to make
      > it easy to follow. I wish I could share it but Thomas Fischer believes
      > redrawn schematics diminish the originality of the product. So he will not
      > support redistribution of this drawing. Since I've drawn the schematic
      > primarily from his original schematic, I can't say it's mine. And just the
      > same, I must agree with Thomas, the original schematics give it a nice
      > 1970's feel.
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com> , Dan Roganti <ragooman@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@> wrote:
      > >

      > > > Bill --
      > > >
      > > > Ok, maybe there are different versions of the rev.4 schematics floating
      > > > around. For example, my schematic shows the 76-0061 ECO hand-drawn on it,
      > > > but none of the other changes. My schematic is dated "Rev.4 2/27/76". If
      > > > this is right, then it wouldn't show any of the later ECOs.
      > > >

      > > Mine doens't have any of the ECO's hand drawn on it either. I just knew it
      > > have the STOP mode ECO from the last time I had it disassembled.
      > >

      > > > If you have a later version of the schematic that shows all of the ECOs,
      > > > I'd like a copy. The version I have came with my IMSAI and there doesn't
      > > > appear to be a version on IMSAI.net for download for me to cross-reference
      > > > against.
      > > >

      > > I have seen any newer version of the CPA schematic yet either.
      > >
      > > =Dan

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic