24554Re: [midatlanticretro] KIM-1, It Lives....

    Mar 2, 2012
      On 03/02/2012 07:43 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
      >>> As messy bench is a sign of a clean mind:
      >>>
      >>> http://wsudbrink.dyndns.org:8080/images/cromemco/bench.JPG
      >>> http://wsudbrink.dyndns.org:8080/images/cromemco/bench2.JPG
      >>
      >> Hey, is that a Tek TDS3102 up there? If not, it's damn similar.
      >
      > Well spotted! Yes, that's exactly what it is (well, 3012 (I assume
      > 3102 is a typo)).

      Doh, yes...too much caffeine today. I too have a TDS3012.

      > It's not half bad for a digital scope.

      Yes, it's rather nice!

      > If you
      > look closely through the probes dangling from the tool crane, you
      > can just make out the Sparkfun O-Clock. The 3012 can "do" the O-Clock
      > in X-Y mode with almost no sampling artifacts. You may notice the Nec
      > flat screen monitor to the right of the 3012. My 3012 has the VGA
      > out option. The nice big display is a lot easier on my rapidly aging
      > eyes.

      I didn't know there was a VGA output option for that scope. Nice!

      > I also have a Tek 2465A analog scope but its NOVRAM battery is
      > shot so it is total out of cal.

      Ok, this is getting weird. My "main" scope is...yes, a 2465A.

      > It's still good enough to use as a
      > vector display and I will be bringing it to VCF this year for that
      > purpose.

      Replace that battery, man!

      > Next to the 3012 is an Arium ML4100 logic analyzer. Below
      > the ML4100 is a Fluke 9010A, next to that is a really nice 2MHz function
      > generator and on top of that is a totally shot Fluke multi-meter.
      > Actually, the Fluke meter is now gone. I was just given a nice shiny
      > new M9803R bench meter for my birthday last week.

      Sweet! Recently I was lucky enough to get an HP 3458A. That sits in
      the metrology area, not for general electronics work. (don't really
      need to adjust +5 in my PDP-11s to 8.5 digits!)

      I'm quite jealous of your 9010A.

      > Big, clear, back-lit
      > LCD display (again, easier on the eyes) plus a freq counter, rudimentary
      > capacitor tester (not ESR )-:), audible continuity tester and a bunch of
      > other bells and whistles I haven't played with yet. Top left, you can
      > just see my Bug-Trap (a _VERY_ useful tool). Next to it is a MITS
      > generic TTL IC tester (not really so useful but I keep it around because
      > it's MITS). Next to that is my UV EPROM erase lamp and scattered in
      > amongst everything up there are various dummy loads (car lights, etc.)
      > on wires with alligator clips and the like for testing power supplies.
      > To finish the tour, on the bench itself is my Topmax universal programmer
      > and the Toshiba Libretto 110ct I use to run it. Oh, there are a couple
      > of generic 300 watt micro-ATX power supplies bolted to the board hanging
      > on the underside of the middle shelf and finally my trusty Pace ST45
      > soldering iron.

      All sounds good to me. I especially like your dummy load selection.

      One of my companies in Maryland shared a parking lot with the Pace
      facility in Laurel. They were nice guys over there. It wasn't a
      "customer facing" facility, but when I picked up Pace gear from the
      local surplus places, they were great about getting me replacement parts
      and helping me get things running.

      > One thing missing from my bench is a good desoldering
      > tool. There is a nasty old solder sucker and a big spool of solder wick
      > in the drawer under the bench.

      I'm a wick man myself. I've tried 'em all, but I keep coming back to
      wick. Good-quality wick from MG or ChemWick, not the Radio Shack garbage.

      I'll have to take some shop pics soon. I only have a temporary
      electronics work area set up in my building now, until the renovations
      are done (or even started!), but it's working out great so far.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ