24447Re: [midatlanticretro] DECmate IIs for sale

    Feb 20, 2012
      On 02/20/2012 11:28 AM, system@... wrote:
      >> {...snip...}
      >> Nicely put. :) EDT is a really, really nice editor. I stuck with it
      >> in VMS for the most part after transitioning from RSTS/E, and then ended
      >> up moving to emacs when it was ported, because I used emacs everywhere
      >> else. I still use EDT under RSTS/E, though for less "important"
      >> applications nowadays, because porting a full-blown emacs to that
      >> platform would be tough at best. ;)
      >
      > The Emacs port for VMS is old (19.something). I was once tasked with doing
      > a port of a newer version (21.something) but the unixification of the code
      > was too much to bear. Its .configure was an FN mess. And fork() may have
      > uses in a unixy environment but it is one of those OS specific C features
      > that is NOT a cross-platform (ie. OS) feature. It's really out of place in
      > the VMS OS paradigm. I've asked numerous people/times what fork() on VMS
      > would/should look like -- in order to hack some reasonableness for it into
      > VMS -- but the concensus was too disparate to be able to do something that
      > would appease all of its invocations. Besides, I'd rather see pthreads in
      > use. There's less overhead and it's far more portable in the modern day.

      Yes of course, but there are plenty of things that emacs needs fork()
      for. Version control interfaces come to mind, as do things like "M-x
      shell". Don't get me wrong, pthreads is great, but it can't replace
      fork(). (otherwise it probably would have in the UNIX world! ;))

      I'd think a compatibility layer could be written to emulate the
      proper semantics with lib$spawn(), but admittedly I've never actually
      tried to do it, and from what you're saying, I shouldn't! ;)

      >> But it bears saying again: EDT is a really, really nice editor! Those
      >> guys really outdid themselves with that program.
      >
      > One of the reasons I run about with a 17" Toshiba Satellite running linux
      > and not one of my 17" MacBook Pros. The Satellite has an alternate keypad
      > which is a must for EDT. Sadly, the stupid PeeCee crowd insists on having
      > that HUGE [+] key where two keys appear on all other keyboards. I have to
      > modmap a shift-[+] to get the other key functionality. I have a full size
      > Apple keyboard which works well with the Mac but I hate having to lug more
      > kit about than is necessary. Besides, I find I can customize the linux's
      > xterm to be more VT220 like than the iTerm on Mac OS X. It's xterm is too
      > kludge to bother with trying to get it to do VT200 series emulation.

      I'm right there with you. The PC crowd never seems to get it right.

      I switched away from OS X fairly recently; I used iTerm for all of my
      VT220-requiring stuff and it was pretty good. One thing I'm still
      struggling with under modern Linux is decent VT220 emulation. If you
      have any pointers (or resource file snippets!) handy, I'd greatly
      appreciate it. I've worked with xterm since X10 (no typo there), but
      this is Gnome Terminal, not xterm...almost thinking I should just use
      xterm when I need better emulation! ;)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ