24438Re: [midatlanticretro] DECmate IIs for sale

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Feb 20, 2012
      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      >On Feb 20, 2012, at 9:10 AM, system@... wrote: >
      >Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:=20 >=20 >> {...snip...} >>
      >Indeed. ;) That key is rarely used in other LK201 applications >>
      >(VT320/330/340/420 etc).=20 >=20 > Rarely used? By whom? >=20 > LSE and
      >TPU users make extensive use of it. It's the equivalent of EDT's >
      >GOLD/7.
      >
      > Point taken. I'm pretty sure, though, that non-VMS use of LK201s is
      >more= common that VMS use. I did not say "never".
      >
      > And real men use EDT! ;)

      The only time I used TPU was not as the EVE editor but for text processing
      to generate reports of laboratory egress for my Uncle Sam. I wrote all of
      the code for controlling the laboratory lock systems in a DoD lab and used
      called-TPU for "report generation" which scavenged its log files. TPU can
      be called like any other language subroutine.

      FWIW, my EDT initialization macro is now 205 lines long. I never made the
      transition to using EVE when VMS engineering foisted it upon us. That old
      screwdriver still works, in many cases, better than newer electric ones! ;)
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic