24394Re: KIM-1

  • rarecoinbuyer
    Feb 18 11:05 AM
      That makes sense. I am familiar with the philosophy. In rare coin collecting, it's always better to have an original worn out flat cull example of the date as a hole filler than any replica.

      However, as you mention, it would be fun to program and experiment with. And I could use the practice soldering. Probably not a bad purchase for $99. Thank you.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "rarecoinbuyer" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "us21090" <us21090@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I do have a KIM-1 single-board computer that
      > > I'm pleased to still have (my childhood Digi-Comp 1, Think-a-Dot and
      > > GENIAC were victims of house cleaning!). The site
      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIM-1 has a nice page on this computer.
      > > In short, it was an in-expensive single-board computer system
      > > developed by MOS to show off the capabilities of their new CPU, the
      > > 6502 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technologies_6502 ). It
      > > was wildly popular (to the chagrin of Intel and Motorola) and lead to
      > > the choice for CPUs in the Apple ][, Commodore, Atari, NES and others.
      > > Cool to have the system. Nope-- not for swap, trade or for sale.
      > >

      > I've been looking for an original MOS KIM-1 recently but prices have gone through the roof. I consistently get bid beyond budget. I wish I had an interest back in the 1990s when you could pick them up for song.
      >
      > I hope this is not retro off topic, but what do you think of the microKIM kit that is available today? I think it would make a decent "hole filler" until I can afford a real KIM-1.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic