24222Re: [midatlanticretro] Is anyone going to TCF?

    Jan 31, 2012
      On 01/31/2012 04:00 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
      >> I dunno. I attended the Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire a few months
      >> ago. It was the first and only such event that I've attended. My
      >> problem with it was that 90% of the stuff there seemed to be targeted at
      >> children. I don't mean "young people" or "twenty-somethings", I mean
      >> KIDS...just plain TOYS. It would've been great when I was, say, eight
      >> years old, but now, not so much. My lady and I had a good time, and
      >> there was a lot of creativity there, but it did leave a lot to be
      >> desired, and we had little interest in spending more than a couple of
      >> hours there.
      >>
      >> I really hope other events of that sort are different, especially if
      >> TCF moves in that direction.
      >
      > I'm hoping it doesn't go that way. While my electronics is my toys
      > I'm hoping to work with creative folks and not toy makers.

      Same here. The occasional toy can be a fun diversion sometimes, but
      a whole event of that, targeted at adults, showing the nontechnical
      public that this is all technical hobbies are about, is a really bad
      idea on several levels.

      Dave McGuire