24220Re: [midatlanticretro] ROM gurus

    Jan 31, 2012
      On 01/31/2012 02:17 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
      > Ok, ROM gurus...I have a Data I/O 29B with a UniPak2B and a LogicPak:
      > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Test/DataIO29B.html
      > I would like to be able to read an AMD AM9216BDC mask-programmed ROM,
      > but it isn't listed as a supported device. I've read that it might be
      > possible to build an adapter to reroute a couple of pins to allow it to be
      > read like a 2716, but have no clue as the specifics. The 9216 is a 24-pin
      > DIP, with dual-active low chip selects, and uses both +5V and +12V. The
      > board these are installed on can use either 9216s or 2716s, but not a mix
      > of both. Here's the info on the ROM board:
      > http://bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/terminal/264x/13255-91221_Control_Memory_With_Bank_Select_Module_Oct78.pdf
      > Table 4.0 lists the strapping for 9216 vs 2716, and there's a schematic
      > at the end. Any pointers?

      I saw your post about that to the DataIO list, and when I checked my
      UniSite supported device list, I was astonished that it wasn't
      supported. I've been hard-pressed to find a device that it couldn't
      handle. I guess because it's a mask-programmed device, and Data I/O
      machines are targeted at programming rather than just reading, they
      didn't see any point to adding support for it.

      If we can find the datasheet, which I'm sure we can (I haven't
      looked), it should be pretty easy to breadboard up a microcontroller to
      read the contents.

      Dave McGuire