23983Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: GREAT news - VCF keynote

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Jan 6, 2012

      ----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^
      >Created: 28-Jul-81 34872 Bytes free Ok
      >DECLARE STRING CONSTANT="AWESOME!"
      >Syntax error Ok
      >PRINT SPACE$(I);MID$(T,I,1) FOR I=1 TO LEN(T)
      >Type mismatch
      >Ok

      You missed the fatal error message above. ;) :P :)

      >I guess that's FORTRAN.

      No, it's definitely BASIC but it's compiled, not interpreted, BASIC.
      Declaring the string constant removes the copy of the literal string
      into the variable; thus, making it more efficient since there is no
      write or update to the string variable and therefore, no need for a
      string variable. It's all just read. Doing so trimmed abotu 50 in-
      structions from the original posted code.

      FWIW, the original doesn't run on my Sharp EL-5500.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic