23667Re: [midatlanticretro] 50 years of Computer Games

  • Dan Roganti
    Dec 5, 2011
      On 12/05/2011 11:01 PM, B Degnan wrote:

      > This was a game that had to do with the lights on the front panel,
      > but I don't remember for sure.

      That one doesn't ring a bell yet.

      > I bet there was some sort of basic
      > real time oscilloscope "move the square" kind of demo that involved a
      > analog joystick-ish device, maybe a large potentiometer. Who knows.

      I haven't read about anything like this before - but you know there's
      always something done in the lab that never gets documented cause it was
      usually some random amusement or curiosity during the downtimes.

      > I wouldn't say the theme for VCF E is set in stone, or if it will be
      > "50 years of Computer Games" exactly. We still have to determine how
      > exactly to put all of this together, who will speak etc. I am sure
      > we'll get more focus over the next 6 weeks or so. Most VCF's are a
      > bit of an arcade anyway, we have to find a way to specifically cover
      > the important milestones of computers in gaming (vs. consoles,
      > etc)....

      yes, this is important - a lot of great engineering went into this.

      > but this causes me to wonder things like - what is more of a
      > computer an Atari 2600 or a totally TTL Pong Game? How exactly do
      > you differentiate between "computer games" and video games? Does the
      > computer have to have a keyboard as the only distinction? Does it
      > have to be played on a general purpose computer? What about arcade
      > games that incorporated computing milestones? How about the computer
      > systems that were used to write the video came cartridges? Anyone
      > have one of those? Text adventures?

      woah dude, your getting too deep ;)

      > On another tangent, exactly *how* does one hook an oscilloscope up to
      > a PDP 8 to play spacewar anyway

      Basically you need a card which has a few channels of Analog to Digital
      converters. I'm sure Dave G. can show us what he has on his system. I'm
      looking towards doing this with McGuire's PDP-8 over here. You can see
      an example of the S-100 card from Cromemco, D+7A. I'm getting mine setup
      for this. You need an o-scope with a X-Y mode setting on the Horizontal
      Timebase control. This lets you have direct access to the beam drivers
      and create the images.

      =Dan
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic