23575Re: [midatlanticretro] projects

  • c f
    Nov 30, 2011
      Sorry - the drive is on its way to back to Texas soon, as it was just borrowed specifically for this project. The project itself was pretty cool - i built a little robot that bolts onto the back of the drive and moves the giant voice coil, since the servo/positioning electronics were broken, and I just tapped the analog read head directly into my own sampling electronics, as the ADC stuff was broken too (35 year-old electromechanical systems don't hold up well, it turns out).

      On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

      On Wed, 30 Nov 2011, c f wrote:

      > I was able to image an 80MB disk pack I got from some australian guy that
      > contains a copy of the Cray Operating System (COS 1.17). I'm currently
      > working on trying to figure out the file-system so I can actually make some
      > kind of sense of what I was able to recover.
      >
      > -Chris

      That would make a great exhibit, Chris, especially if you could
      actually demo the drive (with a scratch pack) to show the process.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...