23330Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Remote Desktop Connection Software

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Nov 3, 2011
      "M. Edward Wilborne, III" <wilborne@...> writes:

      >It's best to use a product like teamviewer or logmein. Not only are
      >they free, they help you deal with all the issues that otherwise arise
      >from dealing with client/sever software (like remote desktop connection,
      >or VNC) that require certain ports (like tcp 3369, or something) to be
      >open and then having to deal with network address and port translation
      >through your firewall to your machine that is generally private
      >numbered. If you're behind multiple NAT devices (which isn't uncommon
      >with a typical ADSL router from the phone company and an owner installed
      >wireless router), the configuration for Remote Desktop is even more
      >complicated.

      I have only had to use the RDP once; in fact, just last weekend. I don't
      do WEENDOZE, nor recommend that anyone do it either. I only mentioned it
      because it got me into a corporate site to connect to a WEENDOZE box that
      the corporate customer connnected to a large system's console port and it
      seemed to work.

      XDMCP and, to a lesser extent, VNC I've used a bit more often. I had an
      occasion to use ICA only once too. That was a much more troublesome but
      there may be more stable in recent releases.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic