23222Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: fun stuff in everything I touch

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Oct 30, 2011
      "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> writes:

      >> Obsolete? > I still come across sites using Fortran; > especially,
      >those doing scientific research > because of the powerful intrinsic >
      >mathematical functions available in Fortran.
      >
      >That's an eye-opener to me, but then, I'm mostly immersed in the
      >Unix/Linux arena where all that was ported to C/C++.
      >
      >> Fortran 90, IIRC, added modern features like > POINTER and the
      >ALLOCATABLE types.
      >
      >Wowzers, I've not seen that, but it's here:
      >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran_95_language_features
      >
      >Like the old saying "if it LOOKS like a duck and QUACKS like a duck
      >...". I= t sure looks like C features wearing FORTRAN clothing, with
      >structures dere= ferenced with a%b%x instead of a.b.x and such.

      The addition of these new statements doesn't preclude that those features
      were not available or couldn't be realized through other means. Like I'd
      said, using Fortran-77, I was doing such things for the US Navy in early
      '80s. Most of the intrinsic features can be 'in-lined' whereas when you
      are calling libraries of similar functions in 'C', you have call overhead
      to contend with. It's impact is small unless you're exercising that code
      often. How do you contend with "COMPLEX" numbers in 'C'? Sqrt(-1)*REAL
      is a real number in many scientific computations.

      >> PL/I and, moreso, COBOL are still quite popular > in the
      >financial/business realm.
      >
      >On what platforms / environments?

      Well, I'm not going to post customer names here; that's just not proper;
      perhaps, at the upcoming MARCH "Saturnalia."

      My dealings are in the VMS realm but I know of a few companies still using
      big blue iron that also develope their apps using COBOL. Banks, anywhere
      there are classic accounting needs (AR/AP/O* type stuff), insurance co.'s,
      and even a large US trucking co. I'm no COBOL programmer, thank goodness,
      and I don't have much of a head for financials, but I believe one of the
      COBOL strengths is its intrinsic packed or zoned decimal math.

      C'mon, it was a little over a decade ago that the world was going to come
      to an end due to COBOL whackers putting 3 digit years into production. ;)
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic