23218LISP

    Oct 29, 2011
      At 01:41 AM 10/29/2011, you wrote:
      >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
      > > Apparently John McCarthy just died. He is one of the pioneers of
      > artificial intelligence /LISP
      >
      >Perhaps I need to poke bookmarks in the books as I browse them for
      >the MARCH library. "Programming Languages: Design and
      >Implementation" page 417. Chapter 14: LISP 1.5
      >
      >"the LISP language was first designed and implemented by John
      >McCarthy and a group at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology around 1960"

      From the dankest corner of my programming language reference books ...

      "The Programming Language LISP: Its Operation and Applications by
      Edmund Berkeley, Paul Abrahams (and many others). This is a book
      edited by Berkeley and Abrahams, useful articles, etc. In the book
      there are references to McCarthy and others' book LISP 1.5
      Programmer's Manual. Does MARCH have a copy of that? It would be
      worth looking for this, put on display near the PDP 8.