23117Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: RIP Dennis Ritchie

    Oct 14, 2011
      On 10/14/2011 10:06 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
      >> WTF? How is building an exhibit to honor
      >> two of the greatest minds the electronics
      >> world has ever known a "publicity stunt"?
      >
      > My objection was the way it was presented as a press release,

      Museums usually have press releases to announce new exhibits. This
      is nothing new, and it's usually not frowned upon. LOTS of people were
      asking questions (mostly directed at Linear Technology, Jim Williams'
      last employer) about what would happen to Jim's famed workbench, likely
      worried that it had just been swept into a trash bin, along with his
      beloved Tektronix 547. I see the press release as a way to get the word
      out that everything is safe, and is being treated with the respect and
      reverence it deserves.

      > and the immense publicity the California folks generate
      > whereas NJ can't get anywhere that much coverage.
      >
      > The IEEE HQ is in NJ,
      > the ACM HQ is in NYC.
      > I'm yet to meet anyone from either at Infoage.

      But they're both gigantic international organizations, and their
      headquarters are little more than offices and administrative
      crap...i.e., *employees*, not necessarily people who are representative
      of their membership.

      > We might have the first machine on which Unix was developed

      Really? Tell me more!

      > but we have many of them (PDP11, 3B2)
      > and is there any other NJ museum better positioned
      > to honor the Bell Labs folks?

      Absolutely not. But let's face it: MARCH is a fantastic museum, but
      CHM is friggin' gigantic and rolling in dough. I suspect fame and
      dollars trumped geographic relevancy here, if any really existed in
      regard to IEEE and ACM. As for Jim Williams and Bob Pease, they both
      lived (and died) in California.

      Note that I am in no way dissing the MARCH museum (or you for that
      matter) here. I talk it up to anyone who'll listen, and even a few who
      won't. It's just that I really think you're barking up the wrong tree here.

      Dave McGuire