      From: Dave <dave.g4ugm@...>
      Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Friden Flexowriters on Ebay
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, August 1, 2011, 3:58 AM

      The go
      back further than that. The Colossus at Bletchley used these. You can see one in
      the Wiki article here:-

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

      think the KDF/9 (an old English computer) also used these. When I first
      started work at an insurance company we had a room full of these. They
      were used to prepare the "fancy" life policy documents as the Mainframe
      printer would only print upper case and this wasn't "good enough" for
      policies. Each girl (there could have been some men, but I don't remember any)
      had master tapes for each type of policy. The flexo's had an second punch
      attached so the master was read and this typed the fixed wording on the policy.
      It stopped at various points at where the girls then typed in the variable
      information, policy holder, premium, sum assured etc. As she typed these one
      tape was punched for later input to the computer, and the other was used to
      print a very posh envelope for sending the policy to the
      customer.

      The
      tapes were not actually read directly into the computer system, they were
      fed into a modified key-to-tape machine which created a tape for input to the
      daily run...

      Dave