22236Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Looking for a C-64 Disk Drive, and a TRS-80 Model II/4/4P

  • Barry L. Kline
    Aug 1, 2011
      On 08/01/2011 02:34 PM, Ed wrote:
      > One of my Model IV(s) has a display adapter issue--from the
      > conversation here and on the TRS-80 group, I'm now pursuing replacing
      > all of the electrolytic capacitors to see if that helps. My biggest
      > concern was getting past discharging the anode of the tube. I
      > followed the procedure but never heard a zap. I waited several days
      > and tried again and no zap. I eventually got enough courage to
      > remove the anode connector, now I have the board out and I have to
      > start getting the parts I need to fix it.

      You don't always hear a 'zap'. The picture tube acts like a large
      capacitor which stores a charge. The charge will eventually bleed off,
      at varying rates, so by the time you get to working on it the charge may
      have bled off enough not to give you that nice audible feedback.

      That said, just do the discharge procedure (twice if you're shy) and
      you'll be good to go. FWIW, the charge on a picture tube is not lethal
      -- it just hurts like hell. Ask me how I know...

      Barry
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic