      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris M
      Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:40 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Lisa landfill

      just curious why they would have gone to the trouble
      of running them over with bulldozers. Would not
      dumping them several states away be enough to
      constitute destruction? Did the bean counters worry
      someone would drive out there and retrieve them?
      <rcini@...> wrote:
      > It was a tax issue for Apple. IIRC, they did this at
      the EOL of the Lisa
      > line. They couldn't sell them and they couldn't take
      the write-off --
      > remembering back to accounting, you can write-down
      inventory to its fair
      > market value (zero in this case), but of course you
      take a charge to
      > earnings for that amount.
      >
      > There's a loophole however in that if you destroy
      them, you can take the
      > write-off with no hit to earnings, although I don't
      know the finer points of
      > that tax treatment. I remember reading that they
      brought them to the
      > landfill and ran them over with bulldozers.

      Of Ray Sills
      > Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 7:59 PM
      > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Lisa landfill
      >
      > And... there's another issue: permission. The
      landfill could be on
      > private property... or government property, and the
      people who
      > control it might take exception to someone wandering
      on to the
      > property, and digging up items that are buried.
      >
      > Some discarded items are just left on the surface,
      like old airplanes
      > located in various mothball locations in the
      southwest. But, if
      > these items are in a true landfill, it might not be
      possible to open
      > the landfill without a court order or something like
      that. And the
      > EPA might also not want anyone digging, either.
      >
      > Still, it's a shame that some neat stuff has been
      disposed of by
      > dumping. Apple Computer didn't have an Apple Store
      on the web back
      > then to enable them to sell the LISAs as
      "refurbished".

      > 73 de Ray
      >
      > On Jan 26, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Jim Scheef wrote:
      >
      > > Joe,
      > >
      > > Well... if the soil is prefectly dry, then it
      might be possible.
      > > The machines
      > > might even be in good shape if they were not
      crushed.

      > > People are recovering amazing things. A few years
      ago a group of
      > > well-funded
      > > people dug a Lockeed P-38 (the airplane) out of a
      glacier on
      > > Greenland and,
      > > after a large infusion of cash, made it fly again.
      So recovering

      wrote:

      > >> I remember reading that sometime in 1984 that
      Atari dumped several
      > >> million E.T. 2600 cartidges in a desert landfill.
      I was recently
      > >> read an
      > >> article about a couple goys who went out and
      recovered several
      > >> hundred
      > >> of these cartridges and were still able to get
      them to work. Now,
      > >> I'va
      > >> also read that sometime in 1989, Apple dumped
      several thousand Lisa
      > >> computer systems in a desert landfill. Do you
      think it would be