2204Re: [midatlanticretro] Lisa landfill

  • Ray Sills
    Jan 26, 2006
      And... there's another issue: permission. The landfill could be on
      private property... or government property, and the people who
      control it might take exception to someone wandering on to the
      property, and digging up items that are buried.

      Some discarded items are just left on the surface, like old airplanes
      located in various mothball locations in the southwest. But, if
      these items are in a true landfill, it might not be possible to open
      the landfill without a court order or something like that. And the
      EPA might also not want anyone digging, either.

      Still, it's a shame that some neat stuff has been disposed of by
      dumping. Apple Computer didn't have an Apple Store on the web back
      then to enable them to sell the LISAs as "refurbished".

      73 de Ray

      On Jan 26, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Jim Scheef wrote:

      > Joe,
      >
      > Well... if the soil is prefectly dry, then it might be possible.
      > The machines
      > might even be in good shape if they were not crushed.
      >
      > People are recovering amazing things. A few years ago a group of
      > well-funded
      > people dug a Lockeed P-38 (the airplane) out of a glacier on
      > Greenland and,
      > after a large infusion of cash, made it fly again. So recovering
      > some Lisas
      > from a landfill should be a piece of cake!
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > --- Joe Giliberti <starbase89@...> wrote:
      >

      >> I remember reading that sometime in 1984 that Atari dumped several
      >> million E.T. 2600 cartidges in a desert landfill. I was recently
      >> read an
      >> article about a couple goys who went out and recovered several
      >> hundred
      >> of these cartridges and were still able to get them to work. Now,
      >> I'va
      >> also read that sometime in 1989, Apple dumped several thousand Lisa
      >> computer systems in a desert landfill. Do you think it would be
      >> possible
      >> to recover any of those in a similar fashion? Not that I'm
      >> interested in
      >> going to Utah, but out of curiousity.

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic