21571Re: [midatlanticretro] Found some Core Memory

    Jun 2, 2011
      On 6/2/11 12:59 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
      > when I took a closer look, it does appear to be a raw core plane - is
      > that PG-rated ;)
      > As there's no support logic on there that you typically see in a memory
      > controller circuit. Other than what appears to be some kind of buffer or
      > level translator chips sparsely located on the edges of the core and
      > routed to the backplane card edge connectors.

      They are probably (chips full of) selection diodes for the X/Y array.

      See DEC-8E-HR1C-D_8eMaint_Feb73.pdf pp.3-75 to 3/78 for a description
      of how that works, and a few pages before that for schematics. (only
      using PDP-8 as an example because it's well-documented)

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic